Re: USB devices not being seen

On Saturday 18 November 2006 19:35, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I'm facing a strange problem: sometimes USB devices are not beeing
> seen by my linux (2.6.17-2-amd64) system. And when I mean not beeing
> seen, I mean that lsusb shows something like this even when the device
> is plugged in:
>
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>
> Which is the same output as when there is no USB device. Also, no
> messages are printed in the console or shown by dmesg.
>
>     This has happened with a mp3 player and two cell phones (a Motorola
> C650 and a Sony-Ericsson K750i), so it's not a problem with the device.
> What's strange is that the connection is detected by the devices: the
> mp3 player, for example, turns on and displays the usual screen shown
> when it's connected to the computer. I've even tried plugging it without
> the battery and it still turns on. Also, the K750i, when plugged,
> supposedly starts charging (which is the expected behaviour). However,
> even though it appears to be charging, when I left it plugged for a long
> time I noticed it did not appear to have charged anything.
>
>     Plugging the device in another usb port does make it work, at least
> sometimes. But it is not a problem with one specific usb port, sometimes
> a port work, sometimes it does not.

I noticed with my own k750i that it sometimes didn't show up when doing
fdisk -l.  However, I tried fdisk /dev/sdb  (I have one SATA drive at sda)
and when I typed p, it shew the correct partition table; when I typed q, I
was able to mount /dev/sdb1 normally.

I guess this is something to do with udev or hal or something weird in the way
2.6 kernels deal with hardware.

--
AJS
delta echo bravo six four at earthshod dot co dot uk