Re: Debian vs Ubuntu for Enterprise Production Servers

On 11/19/06 01:42:26AM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 2006-11-17 09:58:47, schrieb GNU Linux:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm not creating a flame war here but I just want to get suggestions
> > especially from those who administers enterprise production servers.  I
> > am still confused on what to use in the future.  Can you list some pros
> > and cons on using either of the two distributions?  Let's base the
> > comparison between the Dapper Drake LTS and probably the next stable
> > release for Debian which is Etch.  Also, I am more particular with an
> > AMD64 architecture.
>
> Ubuntu is mainly unstable and can create many problems on
> productions systems like servers.  I never trust them!

While it's true that Ubuntu is based on Debian unstable, so is testing and
eventually Debian stable. And AFAIK Dapper LTS will be treated just like
Debian stable, they're going to support it for 5 years and only allow
security patches in. Now, this is their first long term support release so
I would be cautious but I think you're blowing things out of proportion,
especially considering they haven't really had a chance to do anything good
or bad with this release.

Jim.