Re: Virtual machine on Debian amd64

On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 08:46:39PM +0100, Gudjon I. Gudjonsson wrote:
>    I have made a childish attempt to become a software developer and I found
> out that there is some people out there in the big world using Windows :)
>    I need some Windows environment and wine does not help since it does not
> support USB as far as I know. Is there anyone using a virtual machine
> successfully on amd64. And if so, does it work properly?

I've got vmplayer running. The first release (1.0.0) was easy to install
if you had your i386 chroot libraries in your 64-bit environment's
/etc/ld.so.conf. However the latest (1.0.2) has conflicts with our
32-bit GTK+ libraries and so some workarounds are needed.

You can't install it all in the 32-bit chroot because then it won't
build kernel modules for 64-bit, won't find the right kernel headers
etc.

Here's what I did:

0. Fetch the installer (1.0.2)
1. Install in 64-bit into /usr/local/vmware
2. Install will configure the networking and compile the kernel modules.
This should all work fine.

3. Bind mount /usr/local/vmware into your i386 chroot

4. To launch my XP VM, I use the following script:

#!/bin/sh
cd $HOME/vm
dchroot -d env VMWARE_USE_SHIPPED_GTK=force vmplayer xp.vmx

"VMWARE_USE_SHIPPED_GTK=force" is a workaround for incompatible symbol
versions between our libpng (IIRC) and some libraries included with
vmplayer. It forces it to use their libraries for everything, but then
that doesn't work from 64-bit land for some reason so the chroot is
needed.

Also if you have a dual-core processor you may need workarounds to stop
the BSOD in the Windows guest.

Hamish