Re: partitioning with dualboot 32 / 64

Thomas Steffen:
> Even if you can, you still need to keep both installations up to date.
> So mixing e.g. /usr/share means that it would be out of sync during an
> upgrade. This may confuse the configuration scripts, and it is
> probably not worth the hassle. You can only save a few GB anyway.

ok.

> You may want to have a separate /boot partition with grub on it, but
> I am not sure how you have to set that up. Maybe mount /boot/grub?

Yes, i have that since years now. But i won't do it again, there's
also no real need (especially with grub, vs. lilo) since we talk about
less than 50 M here...

> > /home .... can there still be differences e.g. in version between
> > x64 and x32?
> There should not be any difference (of course bugs do happen), and you
> certainly want to share your data, so no choice here.

ok.

> So put /home on a separate partition (which is recommended anyway),
> use two separate partitions for32bit and 64bit. Anything you want to
> share can be moved and symlinked to the home partition.

symlinking (or even hardlinking?) indeed is another idea i didn't
consider yet.

> > /var/cache/apt/archives  ... i can't see any problem here, can you?
>

>  Good idea. It will save you double downloads of arch all packages,
> although that is not quite as much as I would have hoped.

There's another aspect (not really important with a fast SATA though)
of disk speed and fragmentation. Partitions reduce fragmentation
generally, and should improve speed a little bit...but again, only
useful with low  maintenance.

> I think you want to keep the kernel sources separately, because make
> creates quite a few architecture dependent things there.

I can afford to make clean for every compile, though.
It's a fast dual core, and 2G RAM, after all.

> > I think i can share swap (with an additional hibernation swap for
> > each  debian.)

> Yes, unless you want to use suspend.

I intend to have a dedicated _additional_ hiber swap partition
anyway. Maybe i'll ditch that for the suspend filewriter, later,
though. (I hope i can patch suspend2 for x64 ...)

> I also think i will use tmpfs.
> Good idea,  just add more swap :-)

Come on, /tmp isn't that heavily used at all, at least in my
experience.
Well, i'll have to consider the image directory for dvd
burning, but i can stow that everywhere.

(I'll reply to the other reply, too)

thx for input

 m°