Re: AMD64-generic doesn't see all 4GB RAM?

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 12:15:41PM +0100, Giacomo Mulas wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Gabor Gombas wrote:
>
> >Try using the skge driver instead of sk98lin.
>
> Thanks for the hint, I tried and indeed obtained a little improvement: it
> does not hang as with sk98lin. However it still fails to initialise
> properly, any trial to connect to anything via that NIC yields a "no route
> to host" message. When booting, it issues this cryptic (for me, I do not
> speak hexadecimal) message:
>
> skge 0000:00:0a.0 PCI error cmd=0x117 status=0x22b0
> skge unable to clear error (so ignoring them)
>
> Nice try, but for the time being I still have no choice but to stick with
> the memory hole and thus not having all 4 Gbytes of RAM available...

Maybe there is nowhere to map the card's buffers into the bottom 4Gb of
RAM when you have 4Gb of real RAM available. (This would seem to be a
problem with all PCI cards plus AGP cards etc but maybe most systems
or cards have a workaround?)

Google has hits for this error from this driver eg
http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/7/23/5

And there's a kernel patch in the thread which may be in recent kernels;
boot with "iommu=soft swiotlb=force" to try the workaround.

Hamish