Re: Installing Debian amd64 on an asus P5W DH Deluxe + E6600 : kernel on installer broken + bugs in d-i when changing kernel + modules

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 05:08:21PM +0100, Eric Valette wrote:
> Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 09:46:03AM +0100, Eric Valette wrote:
> >> 	2) Downloaded
> >> ftp://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/installer-amd64/20061022/images/gtk-miniiso
> >> burned it and booted it. Starts well but hangs after a while because of
> >> spurious interrupts related to disk activities (SATA) endless reset of
> >> controller. Have also spurious irq listed in dmesg. Did not know if a
> >> kernel was correctly running on this mtherboard + CPU combination. So
> >> tried to find another instable AMD64 distrib.
> >
> > Could you please file an installation-report?  There are some tools in
> > the installer that can show us more information about the hardare you're
> > using.  You can probably also run them on an installed system.
>
> If you hunt asus you can download the user manual with all chipsets
> listed. But I will report once I managed to install. Nothing really
> special except PCI-E and sky2 ethernet driver.

We have a P5W Delux at work which had various problems too.  It is
running windows XP, and after about a week of time it stops booting.  It
shows the splash screen of windows, and at the point it should change to
a higher resolution you just get a black screen.

Sometimes in the event log it shows disks errors.  This is with an SATA
disk.

We've replaced the disk, still the same problem.  We've replaced the
motherboard, power supply, and still have the same problem.

I've also tried it using Debian (i386 netinst etch beta3), I've ran a
badblock read-only test, didn't find any problems.  Then I ran a
read-write test, after a short time the disks basicly stops responding.
The led of the disk on the PC is constatly on, instead of most of the
time on, blinking.  At that point, the tests only shows failed sectors.

We've replaced the disk with an PATA disk, and didn't see a problem so
far.

We also have an identical PC that doesn't show any problems.

I really can't do any tests with this, since someone is using it.

Kurt