Re: System freeze

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 10:32:45AM -0600, Mike Reinehr wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 October 2006 00:33, Jan De Luyck wrote:
> > On Monday 30 October 2006 23:03, Jean-Michel Pour? wrote:
> > > Dear Friends,
> > >
> > > I recently bought an AMD64x2 dual-core desktop.
> > >
> > > The system is running Debian AMD64 SID.
> > > Unfortunately, I experience system freezes.
> >
> > I'm seeing this too, not on my AMD64 box, but on my Intel Pentium M laptop
> > (Dell D610).
> >
> > I get semi-random freezes, only when in X. Hardware is OK. No binary-only
> > drivers are being used.
> >
> > Jan
>
> I started following this thread simply out of curiosity as my AMD64 systems
> all are servers w/o X and are running just fine. Then, I became more
> interested as I realized that the symptoms were sounding familiar to what
> I've been experiencing with my 32-bit desktop. I'm still running an aging
> PIII desktop & Matrox video, but with up to date, 32-bit Etch. Initially I
> was sure that my problem just was caused by aging hardware and placed an
> order for a new system, but now I'm not so sure.
>
> In my case, my system freezes only when I attempt to do a <Ctrl>-<Alt>-<Fx> to
> switch to an alternate console session. It doesn't happen 100% of the time,
> but enough that I've quit doing so. When it freezes, there is no response
> what so ever from the keyboard or mouse. The screen either is blank or
> displaying a "noise" pattern, and I can not ssh in from another system. After
> a power off/on reboot everything works fine and there are no error messages
> in the logs.
>
> Gradually, I'm coming to the conclusion that the problem is with xorg or,
> perhaps, an xorg/kernel combination.

I used to have this problem on my 32-bit Athlon system.  It's a real
nuisance in etch, so most of the time I just run sarge, which does not
exhibit the problem.

I say used to, because now my etch only boots properly about a quarter
of the time.  I suspect file system damage from one of the freezes.

-- hendrik