Re: System freeze

On Tuesday 31 October 2006 00:33, Jan De Luyck wrote:
> On Monday 30 October 2006 23:03, Jean-Michel Pouré wrote:
> > Dear Friends,
> >
> > I recently bought an AMD64x2 dual-core desktop.
> >
> > The system is running Debian AMD64 SID.
> > Unfortunately, I experience system freezes.
>
> I'm seeing this too, not on my AMD64 box, but on my Intel Pentium M laptop
> (Dell D610).
>
> I get semi-random freezes, only when in X. Hardware is OK. No binary-only
> drivers are being used.
>
> Jan

I started following this thread simply out of curiosity as my AMD64 systems
all are servers w/o X and are running just fine. Then, I became more
interested as I realized that the symptoms were sounding familiar to what
I've been experiencing with my 32-bit desktop. I'm still running an aging
PIII desktop & Matrox video, but with up to date, 32-bit Etch. Initially I
was sure that my problem just was caused by aging hardware and placed an
order for a new system, but now I'm not so sure.

In my case, my system freezes only when I attempt to do a <Ctrl>-<Alt>-<Fx> to
switch to an alternate console session. It doesn't happen 100% of the time,
but enough that I've quit doing so. When it freezes, there is no response
what so ever from the keyboard or mouse. The screen either is blank or
displaying a "noise" pattern, and I can not ssh in from another system. After
a power off/on reboot everything works fine and there are no error messages
in the logs.

Gradually, I'm coming to the conclusion that the problem is with xorg or,
perhaps, an xorg/kernel combination.

HTH

cmr
--
Debian 'Etch': Registered Linux User #241964
----