Re: Debian AMD64 freeze !

On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 08:33:41PM +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> Dear maintainers,
>
> somebody wrote about Debian AMD64 complete freeze. Yes, I can confirm this
> behaviour !

Was it me?  Details at

> This is what I watched:
>
> During normal working, everything froze: mouse, keyboard, window, everything.
> Even, when I watched a movie, this happened twice. This behaviour is similar
> to BUG#379480.

If it seems to be the same problem, it could help if details were
sent to 379480@bugs.debian.org

I've found the keyboard still works to a limited extent.  If I have a
text tntry window open at the moment of freeze, it continues to accept
input.  If it's an open shell window. I can even execute commands.
But if anything happens to terminate input (such as hitting return on a
URL entry window in a browser) the freeze becomes complete.

I'm not sure whether it is still possible to ssh in from another system
when it freezes.  IN any case when it was possible, it was too slow to
be usable (keypress echo in excess of 15 seconds, protocol delays enough
to time out during initial connection)

-- hendrik

> But what is more important: This behaviour is on my 32-bit-machine, too !

Fails on my AMD64 in 32-bit mode, too.

> And both machines do have differnent hardware:
>
> 32-bit computer with AMD Athlon XP and Nvidia-Card, the
> 64-bit computer with AMD64 Turion and ATI-Card !

My workaround has been to use Ubuntu dapper drake.  But all the other
systems on my network use Debian, so it's an anomaly.

> But both use kernel 2.6.18 ! On 32-bit the Debian-original-kernel, on 64-Bit a
> selfcompiled out of the Debian-sources.
>
> O.k., I tested RAM on both = o.k.
> I checked the logs, and I discovered this:
>
> Oct 28 19:45:29 protheus2 kernel: dbus-launch[2857]: segfault at
> 0000000000000000 rip 00002ba3403ed590 rsp 00007fff6aa4d188 error 4
>
> Maybe this is the reason, although these messages appear on kernel 2.6.17,
> too. On 2.6.17 everything went fine.

Fails on evry kernel I've used.

> So, as both machines behave the same, I suppose a kernel problem.
>
> And last but not least, another hint: The machines do freeze everytime,
> whenever no one worked on it, so, when there were no keyboard or other input.

I don't recall ever getting a freeze when no one was using the machine
(except as a file server).