Re: LVM root?

Sorry Len for the off-list post.  Wrong 'to', no excuses.
Doug.

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 10:11:19AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 07:14:01PM -0400, dtutty@porchlight.ca wrote:
> > Are there other issues in choosing ext3 vs jfs?
>
> You might be able to install to JFS, but I am fairly sure you can't boot
> from JFS, so using JFS for / (I still don't see the point of a fancy
> filesystem for an almost static small filesystem) requires using a
> seperate /boot with ext2 or ext3 anyhow.  Why not just have ext3 on /
> and use JFS if you feel like it for the other volumes?

Yes you can boot directly to JFS, have done it for a while now.  Rock
solid, even full filesystem checks are quite fast (which I think was one
of the design criteria) and since I live in the country with no UPS,
power-failure reslilience is an issue (I know, not only should I buy two
disks, but a UPS as well).

JFS is also faster (very noticible on a 486, I'm sure less so on an
Athlon).