Re: LVM root?

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 06:43:33AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Because it is way to fragile (fails half the time) and you can't use
> init=/bin/sh anymore.

init=/bin/sh works for me using initramfs and has never been a problem.
On 2.4 kernels it was a different story.  I used to build my own kernels
when I ran 2.4 to avoid the need for initrd.  With 2.6 there aren't any
of those problems and hence no reason to waste time building a kernel
that will be exactly the same in use as the one debian provides (and
gives me security updates for).

> Maybe I've been using the wrong tools back then (initramfs is somewhat
> new) but that never worked right for me.

Well always works for me.  yaird almost always failed for me so I don't
use it.

> Seems that some desktop users like to not shut down all their apps
> when they turn of the system for the night.

My machine is usually busy doing something all the time.  I also like
not to decrease the life span of my disks.

> You do? That would be a bug or at least missing feture then. Recently
> there has been some work on raid support inside lvm (raid1 support was
> added) so I don't think it is totaly deprecated.

Well the documentation for LVM certainly said there was no way to keep
the stripe setting if you added more disks to a VG.  Only the initial
set could have a stripe setting.  After all the striping was based on
what disks where available initially, and divided among them.  If you
add more volumes later, it would be silly to force it to rearrange all
your data just to stripe it across the new PVs.  Maybe they added such
an option for people to be silly.  Not imposible to do after all, just
seems silly.