Re: LVM root?

In Debian, is it only the loss of / that requires a reinstall?  What
happens if /var (especially /var/lib) or /usr get corrupted?  Doesn't
that also make the system extremely difficult/time-consuming to restore?

If I were to get a second 80 GB SATA drive so that I could raid1 /,
might I just as well have the whole base system on raid1?

I would then have something like this:

Disk a:
Part:	Size:
1	64MB
5	remainder

Disk b:
Part:	Size:
1	64 MB
5	remainder

a1 and b1 raid1 to make md0 and mounted as /boot
	since can't resize md0, can anyone imagine /boot ever needing
	more than 64 MB to hold 2 kernels (old and new)?
	Boot will be via grub installed on both drive's mbrs for
	auto-failover booting.
a5 and b5 raid1 to make md0 which becomes pv0 of vg0
lvs made for rest of base system including /
This also ends up with swap in a lv on raid1 so drive crash shouldn't
crash the system.

If this looks good, do the d-i menus let me start out with a degraded
raid1 with only one drive, and add the second drive later?

Thanks to your patient help, I'm gradually getting my head around this
new world.  Thank you.

Doug.