Re: i386 or amd64?

My advice: go for amd64. It meets for 99% my needs (the other 1% can easily be done with an chroot envirnoment)

Should work;

	lout
	gv, xpdf (prefer gv but some downloaded pdfs don't show in gv)
	gnumeric
	xfig
	gqview
	lynx
	dillo (because its faster on my 486 than Mozilla)
	Mozilla (because many websites need java/script and https,
		frames, better rendering)
	gworldclock
	xcdroast
	workman (listen to CDs)
	interact with my new Palm Zire 31 including transfering music from CD to MP3 and putting it on the Palm.
	watch DVDs
	Using hardware MPEG encoding, transfer video from VHS, clean up,
		remove commercials, and save as DVDs.

Don't know/works with chroot for certain:

listen to realaudio on the internet (e.g. access CBC radio
		archives)
	watch short video clips (e.b. www.cbc.ca/news)

P.S. Debian amd64 is fastest Linux distro I know and I come from gentoo ;-)

dtutty@porchlight.ca wrote:
Hello,

I've just about finished building my new computer and need to decide
which Debian port to install (i386 vs AMD64).

Hardware:
	Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard
	AMD AM2 Athlon 64 3800+ (The best AM2 not on long back-order)
	One 1-GB stick of 800 MHz ECC ram
	Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm, 80 GB SATA drive
	Asus EN7300GT/silent PCI-E video card, based on nVidia 7300GT
	All housed in a CoolerMaster Stacker STC-T01 with 6 fans.
	Running an Intergraph 21" flat CRT drafting monitor.

What software packages available for i386 will not be ready for AMD64
when Etch becomes stable and is released (in December?)?

i.e. is there anything that I've listed below that I wouldn't be able to
do if I installed the AMD64 version?

Thanks,

Doug.

-----------
Software I routinely use:
	lout
	gv, xpdf (prefer gv but some downloaded pdfs don't show in gv)
	gnumeric
	xfig
	gqview
	lynx
	dillo (because its faster on my 486 than Mozilla)
	Mozilla (because many websites need java/script and https,
		frames, better rendering)
	gworldclock
	xcdroast
	workman (listen to CDs)

Software I don't use:
	flashplayer

Software I hope to use soon:
	listen to realaudio on the internet (e.g. access CBC radio
		archives)
	watch short video clips (e.b. www.cbc.ca/news)
	interact with my new Palm Zire 31
including transfering music from CD to MP3 and putting it on the Palm.
	watch DVDs

Software I hope to use later: