Re: Silicon Motion chip on amd64

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 07:51:25AM +0200, Free Ekanayaka wrote:
> I can't get xorg  working with the  Silicon Motion, Inc. SM720 Lynx3DM
> (rev c1), ID 126f:072, VGA controller on a etch/amd64 system.
>
> Note that the same hardware works fine with etch/i386.
> Here is the output of lscpi, the xorg.conf, and Xorg.0.log:
>
> http://people.64studio.com/~free/xorg.conf
> http://people.64studio.com/~free/lspci.output
> http://people.64studio.com/~free/Xorg.0.log
>
> I've tried both with xserver-xorg 7.0 and 7.1 any hint?

Questions: is it any better if you pull out the NVIDIA card?

Apparently X has an interpreter to run the real-mode video card BIOS,
even from 64-bit userspace. So it should work.

Is the Silicon Motion your primary device or is that the NVIDIA?
If it's the NVIDIA then I guess that device is not being initialised
before boot, which might help. It might help if you told us exactly what
you were trying to do with the two cards.

(Actually, tell debian-x since they are far more likely to be able to
help.)

Hamish