Compiz + AIGLX + Nvidia HOWTO

Hi list,

I'm posting it here for future reference. Sorry if someone isn't
interested at all.

These steps work on my AMD64 X2 3800+ + Nvidia 6600GT + Asus A8N-E system.
All packages are taken from official Debian repositories, no need to
compile *anything*. Performance of 3D applications and video playback does
*NOT* degrade as when using XGL.

You can see a screenshot of the expose'-like effect here:

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/9021/debiancompizaiglxbq3.jpg

0) Prerequisites: a supported nvidia video card; Xorg 7.1. I run this on
the newest Debian 2.6.18-1 kernel.

1) Install the beta nvidia video driver ( > 1.0.9XXX), you can find it in
experimental. There is plenty of documentation about it, I recommend the
"module assistant" method explained here:

http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/index.html

2) Modify your /etc/X11/xorg.conf in the following way:

- Make sure Section "Module" looks like this:

    Load           "bitmap"
    Load           "dbe"
    Load           "ddc"
    Load           "dri"
    Load           "extmod"
    Load           "freetype"
    Load           "glx"
    Load           "int10"
    Load           "record"
    Load           "type1"
    Load           "v4l"
    Load           "vbe"

- In Section "Device" add:

   Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps"

- In Section "Screen" add:

   Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"

- Add this new section:

Section "Extensions"

   Option "Composite" "Enable"

EndSection

- Make sure you have DefaultDepth set to "24" and no other Depth at a
higher value

3) Install all compiz packages (they are in unstable):

# apt-get install compiz compiz-core compiz-gnome compiz-gtk
compiz-plugins

4) Restart the X server, log in, open a terminal and issue:

$ gtk-window-decorator &
$ compiz --replace --use-cow --indirect-rendering gconf

If that works, you can add the two commands to your startup commands or
create a script that will be executed at login.

5) Enjoy!

--
Best Regards, Jack
Linux User #264449