linux-image-2.6.17-2-???-smp and more

Hi
   One of the things I am confused about is why I cannot find any kernel
linux-image-2.6.17-2 with the smp extension. Perhaps it's a silly question
but I've got another and a little bit less silly:)
   I have a few times found differences in the amd64 archive and the i386
archive. Today I could not install subversion 1.4 but it is available for
i386. I downloaded the Debian source package and compiled it without
problems. Can anyone explain this to me? It has happened before with
different packages and it can not be explained by syncing of servers.

Regards
Gudjon