Re: Asus motherboard hangs in X

Try changing the driver in xorg.conf to 'vesa'. This will be much
slower than the binary Nvidia drivers, but if it works, youve found
your problem.

Thanks Matt.  I have changed the driver to Vesa, and so far I can't make
it crash.  I am now upgrading from stable to unstable (amd64) and
downloading a current smp kernel.  If all stays stable (pun intended), then
I'll ask the experts for suggestions regarding graphics boards and drivers.

Thanks much,
  russ

If the vesa driver works, the open source 'nv' driver, may also work. Its nvidia specific, but not as good as the official binary nvidia drivers. As far as I know, nv performs much better than vesa, but much worse than nvidia.