DVD: ogle crashes randonly ???

Is there some trick to playing DVD's under amd64?

I have a new HP xw9300, dual 2.5 GHz cpus, 6 GB RAM, KDE -- everything
appears to work as expected -- except playing DVD's ;<

Inserting a DVD in the drive prompts some autoload process to pop up a
window, asking me what I want to do with the media identified as a DVD.

Apparently, NO software was already installed.  Following did NOT give
me a clue:

    dpkg -l '*dvd*'

I googled, and found ogle.  I installed ogle-gui & ogle-mmx.  I am able
to start viewing DVD's; even though much of the gui controls do NOT
function.  Some DVD's crash as soon as I select from opening menu.
Others play as expected for indeterminate amount of time; then, poof!
ogle crashes.  I restart it, playing _same_ DVD, and it invariably
crashes at some other point of play time.

/var/log _sometimes_ shows this; other times NOT:

    Aug 29 23:56:25 odin kernel: hda: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    Aug 29 23:56:25 odin kernel: hda: media error (bad sector): error=0x30 { LastFailedSense=0x03 }
    Aug 29 23:56:25 odin kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    Aug 29 23:56:25 odin kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 192888

What am I missing?

What do you think?

--
Best Regards,