Re: max_interrupt_work: forcedeth module parameter to fix "too many iterations (6) in nv_nic_irq" error

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 12:50:15PM +0100, Dave Ewart wrote:
> On Monday, 21.08.2006 at 19:43 +1000, Alexander Samad wrote:
>
> > install forcedeth /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install forcedeth ;
> > /usr/sbin/ethtool -s eth0 wol umbg
> > options forcedeth max_interrupt_work=15
> > options forcedeth optimization_mode=0
> >
> > I found placing max_interrupt_work=15 worked better for me, I was
> > burning dvd's across Gige
> >
> > Memory servers me correctly optimization_mode = 0 uses card off loading
> > I think
>
> Thanks related to /etc/modprobe.d advice etc.
>
> The second option above (optimization_mode) sounds interesting - how
> does that change the default behaviour?  In what circumstances is it
> helpful?

This is from the  forcedeth.c

/*
* Optimization can be either throuput mode or cpu mode
*
* Throughput Mode: Every tx and rx packet will generate an interrupt.
* CPU Mode: Interrupts are controlled by a timer.
*/
#define NV_OPTIMIZATION_MODE_THROUGHPUT 0
#define NV_OPTIMIZATION_MODE_CPU        1
static int optimization_mode = NV_OPTIMIZATION_MODE_THROUGHPUT;

By default it uses throuput mode, which is a int for every packet.  I
think I got it wrong before (relying on faulty memory)