Re: max_interrupt_work: forcedeth module parameter to fix "too many iterations (6) in nv_nic_irq" error

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 10:08:29AM +0100, Dave Ewart wrote:
> I've been seeing the error:
>
> Aug 18 21:24:59 titan kernel: eth-gig1: too many iterations (6) in
> nv_nic_irq.
> Aug 18 21:24:59 titan kernel: eth-gig1: too many iterations (6) in
> nv_nic_irq.
> Aug 18 21:24:59 titan kernel: eth-gig1: too many iterations (6) in
> nv_nic_irq.
>
> in the logs when there is heavy network traffic on my Sarge/amd64
> system.  The error is produced by the kernel module forcedeth for the
> on-board gigabit ethernet controller.
>
> Suggestions I've found through googling indicate using the
> 'max_interrupt_work' module parameter and setting it to 10, rather than
> the default 5.
>
> My question is: what/where is The Right Place to put this module
> parameter setting?  I went to /etc/modules.conf first: but a note in
> that file indicates it should not be edited directly:
>
> # Please do not edit this file directly. If you want to change or add
> # anything please take a look at the files in /etc/modutils and read
> # the manpage for update-modules
>
> However, the manpage for update-modules says that it is 'deprecated'.
>
> Would it just be OK to edit /etc/modules.conf to change:

> forcedeth

> forcedeth max_interrupt_work=10
>
> ?
>
> Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

I have mine in /etc/profile.d/alex (thats were I place all my module
stuf)

install forcedeth /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install forcedeth ;
/usr/sbin/ethtool -s eth0 wol umbg
options forcedeth max_interrupt_work=15
options forcedeth optimization_mode=0

I found placing max_interrupt_work=15 worked better for me, I was
burning dvd's across Gige

Memory servers me correctly optimization_mode = 0 uses card off loading
I think