Re: raid1 bootable disks

On Thursday 03 August 2006 17:27, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 02:49:11PM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> > Just to add that
> > #fdisk /dev/sda
> > or
> > #fdisk /dev/sdb
> >
> > followed by
> >
> > gives the identical layout of partitions for both sda and sdb, in
> > particular
> >
> > Device: /dev/sda1 (or sdb1)
> > Boot: *
> > Start: 1
> > End: 365
> > Blocks: 2931831
> > Id:  fd
> > System: Linux raid autodetect
> >
> > Does that * for boot on both sda and sdb mean anything?
>
> If you have grub installed in the MBR, then it doesn't matter what the
> boot flag is set to on any partition since nothing will look at it.

>>Except some bios does.

>>MfG
        >>Goswin

Grub went installed on /boot while creating raid1 linux software, at the end
of installations on the other partitions. Therefore, I understand that I have
grub installed in the MBR and, importantly, that I have done  all that was
allowed toward security. Which, in my case is more for the system than the
data, as I backup the data regularly on two independent external hard disks.
Also, there is no problem if mpqc calculations are interrupted; actually the
calculation may take a better path if restarted from the last minimum
geometry.

Thanks a lot
francesco