Re: How to get the right source

On 7/27/06, Stephen Cormier <s.cormier@gmx.net> wrote:
On Thursday 27 July 2006 10:43, Bill Ranck wrote:
> Hello folks,
>    I am new to the 64 bit stuff and I need to rebuild my kernel for
> multiple processors.  I know I should apt-get the source packages, but
> which packages and from where?  My /etc/apt/sources.list has the
> following:
> deb http://debian.csail.mit.edu/debian-amd64/debian sarge main contrib
> deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
>
>    I have installed am running this on a Dell 2650 with Intel
> processors.  Here is the uname -a line:
> Linux ripberger 2.6.12-1-amd64-generic #1 Fri Jul 22 18:12:08 CEST 2005
> x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
>    I assume that I just need to download the kernel sources, do the
> "make menuconfig" thing and make the new kernel from there.  Any other
> cautions or suggestions?

You can install a Debian kernel with smp support use "apt-cache search
kernel-image smp" without the quotes to see the available images for install
you would want one of the ones with em64t in the name.

I belive should be linux-image instead of kernel-image or this is
false to sarge?
sorry if thats the case I have only sid...

Stephen

--
GPG Pubic Key: http://users.eastlink.ca/~stephencormier/publickey.asc

--
Engañarse por amor es el engaño más terrible;
es una pérdida eterna para la que no hay compensación

							Kierkegaard

							Jaime Ochoa Malagón
							Integrated Technology
							Tel: (55) 52 54 26 10