installation amd64 failed THEN SUCCEEDED

Taking shorter routes should be left to experts. I erased both disks, made new
partitions (under a better scheme than before), configured raid1 with ext3
throughout, and everything went on smoothly for amd64 etch.

Mirror ftp.uni-koeln.de

I got more than I wanted, booting now ends to gnome windows manager.  I assume
that Ctrl-Backspace gives me the console with (according to top) little
engaged memory.

Anyway I would like to remove gnome completely, replacing it perhaps with jwm
(or not replacing).

/lib32 is present alongside /lib64. I lost any hope to get rid of 32bit
libraries, so that, unless a useful suggestion arrives how to get rid of them
for ever, I leave them. I know that, if purged, they reappear at the next
update/upgrade.

Now the kernel from generic to smp and the few applications.

Cheers

francesco

At boot after netinstall amd64 etch from Official Snapshot of yesterday (two
dual opterons, raid1) Mirror Sunsite, Germany:

Booting 'Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.15-1-amd64-generic'

root (hd 0,0)

Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0xfd

kernel (that above) root=/dev/md5 ro

Error 15: File not found

Option c allows to get
grub>  (grub0-install hd0, v 0.97)

Option e presents alternatives but does not work.
I am pretty sure to have selected ext3. Is the error to have chosen md5
instead of md1 for root?

At any event I believe to have to re-do everything. From the older (3 June,
beta 2) installer?

Thanks for avdice

francesco pietra