Re: Re: How to input Japanese?

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately from that readme it still isn't
clear how to actual choose a different input method. But you pointed
me in the right direction - I found a wiki about scim
(http://www.scim-im.org/wiki/documentation) which in turn lead me to
finding out about scim-setup. I ran this utility from the command
line. It gives a gui setup tool for scim. It seems that the answer to
my basic question is that Command-Space will switch between inputs
(although you can set individual hot keys).

Thanks for your assistance, Li.

Craig

On 7/8/06, LI Daobing <lidaobing@gmail.com> wrote:
On 7/8/06, Craig Hagerman <craighagerman@gmail.com> wrote:

> And then...?
> I found out I already had scim installed, and not scim-tables-ja. Both are
> now installed. But I still don't understand how I am supposed to input
> Japanese text. Is there some magic key combination to switch between English
> and kana (such as alt-space or something)?

cut from /usr/share/doc/scim/README.Debian.gz

--------------
Autostart SCIM
--------------

It's quite inconvenient to set environment variables and manually start SCIM
each time you login, so you want to start SCIM automatically when your X
session starts.  This is not hard, you just need to put the commands of
setting variables and start SCIM into a configuration file X reads when it
starts.  For example, the following lines in ~/.gnomerc should work if you
want to start SCIM automatically with GNOME:
    LANG=en_US.UTF-8
    export LANG
    XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
    export XMODIFIERS
    GTK_IM_MODULE="xim"
    export GTK_IM_MODULE
    scim -d
Change the en_US.UTF-8 to your preferred locale, and change GTK_IM_MODULE to
"scim" if you want to use GTK IM mode instead of XIM mode.

The hard part is to figure out which configuration file to put these in.  One
choice is to put it in ~/.xsession, and add your X session command at the end
of the file (such as "exec gnome-session" or "exec startkde").  But this way
you always need to modify this file to change X session, and the feature of
choosing session in GDM/KDM will not work anymore.

There are other packages to help these configuration easier, see the next
section.

--
LI Daobing