Re: gfortran and a compilation

Francesco Pietra wrote:
However, I do not understand whether dft, like nevpt  is only distributed
in cvs version. In that case I can do nothing.
I have been informed that dft allow parallelization, so that it is interesting to go on.

Hi Jo: I have also been indicated - by people who probably do not know debian but are masters of Dalton - to compile mpich, whereby all libraries are compiled at 64bit on my system. Do the above packages do the job, with no need to compile mpich? Having examined the packages I expect Yes.

That depends. MPICH is fairly generic, and at compile-time, you need to specify which parallelization model to use - for example, a work, we use MPICH-GM, which is for use on Myrinet high-speed proprietary interconnects. If you want to use shared memory (i.e. MPI on a local machine, not over a network), then the prepackaged *mpich-shmem* packages are fine. If you want to use gigabit ethernet over TCP/IP on a cluster, you want the vanilla mpich packages, or *mpich-mpd* packages if your cluster provides an mpich execution daemon.

I would *never* compile something if it can be avoided - why repeat work someone else has already done? The advice you received about 64-bitness is false, as almost all packages on AMD64 debian are already 64-bit (rare exceptions are 32-bit compatibility libraries, and things like GRUB)