Re: linux-headers no more needed ?

Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
Hello all,

maybe I have an understanding problem. It would be nice, if someone could give me some background knowledge.

IMO the linux-header-files are always needed, whenever I want to build modules for the kernel, i.e. the Nvidia-kernel-module. However, as I have not installed them, the building of my needed module (in my case it was the fglrx-kernel-module) succeeded. So, what is the reason, that the linux-header-files are for ? I do not understand. (Background is, that the package "linux-headers-2.6.17-1-amd64-k8" cannot be installed, due to the missing "linux-kbuild-2.6.17")

So, in what cases are the header files needed ?

Thank you very much for your help !!!

Best regards

Hans

What the nvidia/fglrx/whatever modules need to build aren't a specific package per se, but a valid and accurate set of .h files for the kernel in question. These don't need to come from a linux-headers-versionfoo package - If you compiled your kernel yourself, for example, then they're in /usr/src/yourkernelsourcedir. Or you could install a linux-source-version package, then use your current .config to compile up what you need.

Headers are *always* needed. Just not neccessarily linux-headers-foo.