Re: Random segfaults (was: Hup,hup Debian AMD64, Hup, hup)

On Thursday 22 June 2006 13:29, you wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 03:17:21PM +0000, Dimitris Lampridis wrote:
> > He he, that might be true, but as I said, I've seen segfaults on APT
> > (also go away usually if I retry the same command), and as we speak I
> > have a pretty persistent case with Emacs under X. It segfaults all the
> > time as I try to run it. Also seen it just minutes ago happen to bzip2,
> > but that was not a segfault, just a false impression that the archive I
> > was trying to open was corrupted (also went away the second time i tried
> > to open the "corrupted" archive).
> >
> > There is something going on for sure, and it starts to reminds me a lot
> > of the mess I made in Gentoo when i decided to move to gcc4.1,
> > simultaneously adopted some aggressive cflags and recompiled everything
> > (kaboom).
>
> Hmm, that really sounds like you have a hardware problem.  Either cpu or
> ram.  I haven't heard of anything similar from anyone else running the
> same version, which is why I don't think it is a software problem.
>
> Or maybe the power supply is bad or not big enough.  Hmm.

For the CPU (x2 3800+) i cannot say, although some other OS that unfortunately
can offer me Elder Scrolls Oblivion (...) is not having any problems (not of
this kind anyway)

For the memory (4x512MB), i did  have one faulty module, i returned it, got a
new one and system was sweet, plus memtest86 doesn't reveal a problem (this
doesn't mean that its OK, but its a rather slim case)

For the power supply its a very robust Tagan, 480W and it was taking the heat
fine for many months now. Also, Dutch power company has never caused me any
trouble or reason to worry.

My system is as cool as it can get with stock CPU fan, CPU under 30 Celsius,
case under 40 Celsius, so no overheating problem too.

I'll start checking all those things the best I can (memory is the easiest to
check me thinks, at least at a per-module basis), but I'm almost sure its not
my HW.

Thank you very much for your replies and time,
Dimitris