Re: Random segfaults (was: Hup,hup Debian AMD64, Hup, hup)

On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 03:17:21PM +0000, Dimitris Lampridis wrote:
> He he, that might be true, but as I said, I've seen segfaults on APT (also go
> away usually if I retry the same command), and as we speak I have a pretty
> persistent case with Emacs under X. It segfaults all the time as I try to run
> it. Also seen it just minutes ago happen to bzip2, but that was not a
> segfault, just a false impression that the archive I was trying to open was
> corrupted (also went away the second time i tried to open the "corrupted"
> archive).
>
> There is something going on for sure, and it starts to reminds me a lot of the
> mess I made in Gentoo when i decided to move to gcc4.1, simultaneously
> adopted some aggressive cflags and recompiled everything (kaboom).

Hmm, that really sounds like you have a hardware problem.  Either cpu or
ram.  I haven't heard of anything similar from anyone else running the
same version, which is why I don't think it is a software problem.

Or maybe the power supply is bad or not big enough.  Hmm.