Re: XFS, EXT3 or some other?

On Wednesday 21 June 2006 13:38, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> Sad to read about that, after having reiserfs as filesystem on all my
> partitions (except precious data - my papers and my database - that I
> extra-save on a 25 years old external scsi HD as vfat). I understand that
> going back means doing everything, except partitions, ex novo. Now that I
> have even set up the measurement of temperatures. Is tout le monde
> convinced?

Even if you really feel you have to change the fs, you don't have to do
"everything ex novo"! It needs just space on any harddisk to prepare a new
set of partitions. After building the file systems, there is a simple way to
copy your running linux to the new set of partitions with only very small
modifications (see "Duping a Drive Under Linux",
http://linuxgazette.net/issue64/tag/12.html).

And if necessary, you could even repeat this process, ending up with your
linux system on exactly the same partitions as in the beginning, but using a
new fs!

Regards, Clemens

--
>---