Re: multiprocessor

Francesco Pietra wrote:
After learning from you how to inquiry the cpu, and reading better the mpqc manual, the command
mpqc -messagegrp "<ShmMessageGrp>:(n = 4)" filename.inp | tee filename.out

puts all four processors at work and the acceleration with respect to using only one cpu is really impressive.

My message is perhaps not inappropriate for this list, because my curiosity is to ask how the two dual opteron cpu work with calculation software that was not devised for parallel processes. In fact, unlike with mpqc above, acceleration of my machine with respect to a simple Athlon for force field calculations with classical programs is modest indeed. What do the two dual opteron in this case?
The spare core's will be used to run the kernel, and other applications, leaving (theoretically), a whole core/cpu for your non-threaded number crunching application. A good example of this is encoding video on one cpu and using your desktop without slowdown on the other