Re: Cannot install a bootloader

Dirk Bonenkamp - Bean IT <dirk@bean-it.nl> writes:

> Hi All,
> I've trouble installing the bootloader (both grub and lilo fail). I'm using
> the netinstall cd-image to install. My first idea was a problem with my RAID
> controller (Adaptec 2020ZCR, running a 4 disc raid 5 array) but it even fails
> to install a bootloader to a floppy disc. So I think it's a general problem,
> instead of a hardware problem.
> It always returns the same error message:
> The file /boot/grub/stage1 not read correctly.
> The thing I found out is that the new / filesystem is still mounted under
> /target, but I guess this is normal while installing...? (never bothered to
> look, since it always works out fine).
> Any suggestions welcome!
> Kind regards,
> Dirk

Grub-install tries to emulate the bios as it will be during boot as
best as possible during install to test if grub will work. Sometimes
that test itself doesn't work or it actualy shows a future boot
problem.

To make sure which of the two you have create a grub floppy.

apt-cache show grub-disk

Boot from that floppy and install grub from the grub shell directly.

MfG
        Goswin