Re: Unwanted messages

A J Stiles wrote:
> We seem to be getting a lot of spam being sent to the list lately.  Can we do
> anything to block it?  Only accepting inbound mail from addresses on the
> recipients list would be a good start.  Also, since we're all Debian users
> here, it might make sense to reject mail apparently coming from a
> Windows-based user-agent.
>
> It was ironically endearing when it was adverts for pirated Windows software;
> but I get enough pr0n, phishing and share scams elsewhere without them coming
> through this list.

Um, no, no, no and no.  Here is why those are all bad ideas:

- List volume is huge and many people want to post without subscribing
- All posts to this list do not originate by email, e.g., news groups
- Lots of people post from work (where they only have windows)
- Lots of people admin Debian servers, with Windows as a workstation OS
- You can do those things (except for filtering based on subscribers)

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto