Re: xorg 7.0 (glx problems--Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual)

* rickh <rhandrich@comcast.net> [Jun 07. 2006 18:56]:
> When you say you 'installed' mesa-swx11-source, I assume you
> mean that you did compile/make.  That doesn't intimidate me.
> ... But, if 'rebuilding and installing xserver-xorg-core' means
> you also compiled that from source, ...  I'm hesitant.

I meant the latter.
It really isn't as scary as it apparently sounds.

$ sudo apt-get install -t unstable mesa-swx11-source
$ sudo apt-get build-dep xserver-xorg-core
$ sudo apt-get install fakeroot
$ apt-get source xserver-xorg-core
$ cd xorg-server-1.0.2/
$ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
$ cd ..
$ sudo dpkg -i xserver-xorg-core_1.0.2-8_amd64.deb

It worked for me.  Let us know the results if you decide to try it.

It probably isn't necessary to build all 6 binary packages from
xorg-server, but I don't know how to do that easily.  Anyone?

> It appears that, given time, the problem will be corrected by
> normal upgrades, but I am tired of living without GLX.  I this
> process is not risky for an 'intermediate (at best) user, I'll
> try it.  But I would like a little more encouragement.

Go for it!  You can always reinstall the package from testing if
you tire of GLX :)

Frederik