Re: gcc

On Tuesday 06 June 2006 23:24, Alexander Samad wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 08:11:01PM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:

> > > I think that should have been:
> > > # alias gcc="gcc-4.1"
> > > # make
> >
> > Retrying as you suggest as root, the first command returns the root
> > prompt #make
> > gcc - g -02  -c -o active.o active.c
> > make: gcc: Command not found
> > make: *** [active.o] Error 127
> > that is, as if the alis was not activated.
> >
> > > Not sure make can use shell aliases though.
> > >
> > > So your real problem is that gcc-4.0 which gcc depends on is not
> > > currently installable for some reason on your system.
> >
> > Just to detail what errors:
> > #apt-get install gcc
> > gcc: Depends: gcc-4.0 (>=4.0.2-5) but it is not installable.
> > E: Broken packages.
> >
> > > What output/errors do you get from:
> > > apt-get install gcc-4.0
> >
> > #apt-get install gcc-4.0
> > Reading..
> > Building dependency tree...
> > Package 4.0 is not available, but is referred to by another package. This
> > may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only
> > available from another source.
> > However the following packages replace it:
> > gcc-4.0-locales
> > W. (a series of warnings that Couldn't stat source package list at
> > http:... E: Package gcc-4.0 has no installation candidate.
> >
> > My sources.list from which the net installation was carried out with only
> > main and the row end (subsequently, apt-get update did nothing):
> > deb http://debian.inode.at/debian-amd64/debian/ etch main contrib
> > non-free deb-src http://debian.inode.at/debian-amd64/debian/ etch main
> > contrib non-free
>
> Think you have to change your repository to the main debain ones, as
> etch has been moved to there
>
> something like
> ftp://ftp.au.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free

Now tried:
#apt-get update (or upgrade) with sources.list
 deb ftp://ftp.au.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
 deb-src ftp://ftp.au.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
 deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
 deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
fails to give access to either sources or security updates and no
update/upgrade occurs at all

Then also tried:
#apt-get update (or upgrade) with sources.list
 deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
 deb-src ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
 deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
 deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
fails to give access to either sources or security updates and no
update/upgrade occurs at all

(installation was from etch beta 2 release installer; netinstall from
debian.inode.at)

francesco pietra