Re: gcc

On Tuesday 06 June 2006 23:24, Alexander Samad wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 08:11:01PM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:

> > > I think that should have been:
> > > # alias gcc="gcc-4.1"
> > > # make
> >
> > Retrying as you suggest as root, the first command returns the root
> > prompt #make
> > gcc - g -02  -c -o active.o active.c
> > make: gcc: Command not found
> > make: *** [active.o] Error 127
> > that is, as if the alis was not activated.
> >
> > > Not sure make can use shell aliases though.
> > >
> > > So your real problem is that gcc-4.0 which gcc depends on is not
> > > currently installable for some reason on your system.
> >
> > Just to detail what errors:
> > #apt-get install gcc
> > gcc: Depends: gcc-4.0 (>=4.0.2-5) but it is not installable.
> > E: Broken packages.
> >
> > > What output/errors do you get from:
> > > apt-get install gcc-4.0
> >
> > #apt-get install gcc-4.0
> > Reading..
> > Building dependency tree...
> > Package 4.0 is not available, but is referred to by another package. This
> > may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only
> > available from another source.
> > However the following packages replace it:
> > gcc-4.0-locales
> > W. (a series of warnings that Couldn't stat source package list at
> > http:... E: Package gcc-4.0 has no installation candidate.
> >
> > My sources.list from which the net installation was carried out with only
> > main and the row end (subsequently, apt-get update did nothing):
> > deb http://debian.inode.at/debian-amd64/debian/ etch main contrib
> > non-free deb-src http://debian.inode.at/debian-amd64/debian/ etch main
> > contrib non-free
>
> Think you have to change your repository to the main debain ones, as
> etch has been moved to there
>
> something like
> ftp://ftp.au.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free

Now tried:
#apt-get update (or upgrade) with sources.list
 deb ftp://ftp.au.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
 deb-src ftp://ftp.au.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
 deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
 deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
fails to give access to either sources or security updates and no
update/upgrade occurs at all

Then also tried:
#apt-get update (or upgrade) with sources.list
 deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
 deb-src ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
 deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
 deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
fails to give access to either sources or security updates and no
update/upgrade occurs at all

(installation was from etch beta 2 release installer; netinstall from
debian.inode.at)

TO ADD that with either 'au' or without in the sources.list, the result of gcc
trial install is the same as with debian.inode.at, i.e.:

#apt-get install gcc-4.0
Reading..
Building dependency tree...
Package 4.0 is not available, but is referred to by another package. This may
mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available
from another source.
However the following packages replace it:
gcc-4.0-locales
W. (a series of warnings that Couldn't stat source package list at http:...
E: Package gcc-4.0 has no installation candidate.

francesco pietra