Re: debian_amd64_sarge

Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> writes:

> On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 04:33:21PM +0200, Kompar Krisztian wrote:
>> Yes, I have read it that I can use maximum 64Gb memory using PAE. But lot of
>> people wrote that 10-15% CPU time need for this. Is it true? Uptime
>> is very critical :) that is why I didn't try it, yet.
> PAE is slower than direct memory access for sure, but I am not sure if
> it is higher overhead than what supposedly some 64bit code slows down on
> 64bit.  Certainly for now the 32bit is the mature platform, while the
> 64bit is new.
> Life will be much simpler when Etch is released, since then we can
> probably consider amd64 a mature platform too, and hopefully by then
> intel will have released some decent CPUs with 64bit support. :)
> Len Sorensen

But you can mix the two. Use a 64bit kernel (yes, sarge does have
those in i386) while keeping your 32bit userland.

That way you have all the stability of sarge i386 and the hardware
support for >4GB ram of amd64 without resorting to crude hacks like
PAE that cost cpu time.

PS: you will have to install iptales from amd64 if you need that to
keep working though.