Re: monting

everytime usefull commands:

dmesg

and

mount

with no parameters

On 6/2/06, Lennart Sorensen < lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 06:29:25PM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> Where to find directions for mounting devices with amd64 debian testing kernel
> 2.6.15-1-amd64-k8-smp? Of course if different from 32 testing.

It is exactly the same as on i386.  That is kind of the point of debian.
Every architecture should be as similar as possible.

> I am asking that because I inserted a card reader writer (with card inside)
> into USB and got it recognized without doing anything else.

That would be udev doing its job.

> I was unused at that, so that unfortunately I did not pay attention enough to
> the screen. Now, trying to mount (as root) that device on a newly created
> partition /mnt/flash (as I am used to do with debian 32 testing) I
> got "already mounted or busy"

You can always do: cat /proc/partitions

Or dmesg |grep sd

And see which scsi device the usb device is.

> ps -eaf
> shows, inter alia,
> root  7380  19  0 [the time] ? 00:00:00 [scsi_eh_6]
> root  7381  19  0 [the same time] ? 00:00:00 [usb-storage]
>
> Unable to trace where the device is mounted - if it reallyis, which frankly i
> can not believe . I am not used to shutdown machines with devices mounted.
> Under /dev a lot of sda.. sdb.. etc etc Under fstab all md for my parttions
> hda for cdrom and fd0 for floppy.

It likely is NOT mounted.  It is just detected and the device exists.
You can mount it of course.  gnome-volume-manager and the like on the
other hand might mount it automatically for you.  I haven't tried that.