Re: which kernel for dual opteron ???

On Wednesday 31 May 2006 16:08, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> Hi Adam:
>
> I extrapolate your indications to my case (hope to the benefit of others
> too) of installed  debian 64 testing from etch beta 2 release, choosing
> linux-image-2.6.15-1-amd64-generic.
>
> Hardware: TWO 264 amd64-opteron on Tyan K8WE 2895 plus video card and scsi
> card for external scsi chain composed of  hd, CD, and scanner ; plus TWO hd
> in raid1 from debian. All that functioning.
>
> Aim: to have a worksation for crunching numbers, i.e. no gui, no sound, but
> equipper for X with a flexible window manager like mwm. At present it is
> twm and nothing else is offered. When all ok, i have to compile some
> special applications in OpenGL as pre-computation. Finally, computations
> with mpqc, already available for debian unstable 64.
>
> Question: should I compile kernel from the present situation or it should
> be better replace before that actual kernel with a smp  kernel (or it is
> immaterial)?

Well, you definitely want an SMP  {symmetric multi processor}  kernel, to be
able to make use of the multiple processors.  Whether or not you want to
enable SMP is something that you have to select when you compile the kernel;
using the wrong one will give a performance penalty.

Removing anything unnecessary will speed your system up to some extent.  Of
course, there's a trade-off; the process of deciding what you can do without
and removing it can end up taking you longer than you eventually save.

> Additional question: should hardware change, like additional ram, etc, I
> guess that the kernel has to be recompiled. True?

Just adding extra RAM shouldn't require a new kernel.  It sometimes used to,
in the days of limited address space; but we haven't got anywhere near maxing
out 64-bit address space yet.  Maybe we will by the time KDE5 comes out  :)
You only need to recompile the kernel to add drivers for new hardware.  If
there's something you know you're going to buy somewhere down the line,
consider compiling its driver as a module.

> Thanks a lot. I am no expert in computer science, just user who is looking
> for the highes floating point he can afford.

Compiling a kernel can be a bit of an adventure and you probably will want to
read up on it before you start.  However, if you follow the instructions, it
will all work.  The package "kernel-package" does most of the hard bits,
giving you a .deb file that you can install like any other.

As Len has pointed out, you do need to watch out for security patches with
home-made kernels.  If one does come out that demands your attention, then
you'll have to patch your sources and re-compile.  But you can cross that
bridge when you come to it .....

--
AJS
delta echo bravo six four at earthshod dot co dot uk