Re: Software RAID5

On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 01:00:19PM +0200, Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) wrote:
> I've a system with a software raid1 on 2 sata drive 80 GB
> I've all my system on LVM on this underlying raid.
>
> For performances reasons (video editing), I'm thinking if a RAID5.
>
> Is there somebody with some experience with raid5:
> - performances
> - behaviour in case of a crash
>
> Is there an easy process to migrate from raid1 to raid5 without
> reinstalling everything?

Well the simplest is backup and start over.

The slightly less simple but maybe workable solution is:

Break the raid1 by marking one of the disks as faulty, then remove it
from the raid1, then setup your raid5 in degraded mode (as in one disk
missing), and then when all done and you copied all the data over,
delete the old raid1 and add the old disk to the raid5 to bring it up
fully.

There are many places where you can screw that up, so of course a full
backup is worth having.  It would be much simpler to just set it up on a
new set of disks and copy the data over.

How many disks and what size are you planning for the raid5?

Len Sorensen