Re: What's the status of KDE in testing/etch?

I have not found a current kde for etch so far; however, you must have the woody and sarge directories in your system; use find to look for them. There you will find what seem to be some older versions of kde and gdm; does anyone know how to make these work with etch? I suppose they are the older versions.

I have a replaceable hard drive, so I can easily switch between 64 bit Windows xp, sarge, and etch. kde is available in sarge, and almost works; I just am not able to configure X properly. If I had xorgconfig available there, I think sarge would be acceptable. I recommend setting up so you can switch hard drives for this kind of work. My motherboard is Asus A8N-E

Francesco Pietra wrote:

May I add that I am at 64bit not to carry out what I can do with debian 32 testing on my PC, but to speed up quantum mechanical calculations. What I really need is X (I got beautifully as you describe below) and OpenMotif to run a package (that I could compile for 64) that uses OpenGL for the graphics engine, just to see the results in virtual space. Do you know the status of these affairs in amd64 that we have installed?

Implicitly I need to recompile the generic kernel that I have installed. Compiler/libraries (Motiv or Lesstif installed)?

Cheers
francesco pietra

PS: KDE would be very welcome anyway.