Re: please summarize amd64 installation steps

Francesco Pietra <frapietra@alice.it> writes:

> Hi all:
> I have followed with particular attention in the last few days all issues on
> this list related to amd64 debian installation. Just because I have now
> finally everything ready for a fresh installation on a fresh ready
> workstation equipped with Tyan K8WE S2895 (bearing video card Pixelview 6600
> 256M DDR DVI and a scsi card for external devices), a couple of dual amd64
> opteron, and a couple of 300GB SATA HD.
>
> For the benefit of poor guys like me who rarely carry out software
> installations, could you please check my projected route, and its sequence,
> for suitability/correctness?
>
> 1) Start with debian installer
> Debian testing amd64 Bin-1/ISO9660 [93 MB] (CD-ROM waiting on my machine)
> burned from
> debian-testing-amd64-netinst.iso [93.4 MB]
> as downloaded yesterday from
> http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

If you can use sarge. That is the only one that will definetly work if
your hardware gets recognised.

> 2)Follow substantially a netinstall according to Roberto's howto
> http://haydn.debian.org/~intero-guest/debian-amd64-howto.html

Please try to follow the normal instructions from the Debian installer
itself and report on shortcomings of the official documentation. This
needs to be done by someone unfamiliar to spot things that are just
done unconsciously on your 100th installation.

> 3)Establish raid1. To this regard, I am at "Today 21:19:28" directions by
> Alexander Siek. I understand Alexander has positively answered all (nearly
> all?) criticism by Goswin. However, I must confess that i use a pc with
> debian testing/unstable but I never established a raid before. Therefore, I
> only hope to be able to follow Alexander's indications but it would be better
> for me to read before some general instructions as to establish a raid1. I
> have none yet.

The D-I can instal directly onto raid. You just have to select manual
partitioning instead of a preset menu. Everything will be done for you
through the menus then. Everything except getting the other drives of
a raid1 to be bootable if you use grub.

> 4)Install 32b applications into a chroot as indicated in both Roberto's howto
> above and, for what I need, ie not sound) in
> http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/356
> without, however, following step
> 1.4) You also need a link to your 32bit linker in the /lib path:
>  $ cd /lib
>  $ ln -s /var/sid-386-chroot/lib/ld-linux.so.2 ld-linux.so.2
> because I read somewhere that installed libraries are linked per se.

Don't link the ld, just install the ia32-libs or libc6-i386 package
that contain the ld and links directly. Anything else appears to cause
problems on future upgrades.

> I hope the kernel provided supports my mainboard and I wish myself good luck.
> But there cannot be good luck without some guidance. Thanks a lot
>
> francesco pietra

MfG
        Goswin