Problem booting Debian amd64 3.1r0a

I'm trying to install Debian amd64 3.1r0a on a dual em64t Xeon box, with SCSI hard drives and an IDE CD-ROM. I've previously had Debian i386 running on the same hardware.

Once I've completed the base install from CD, I'm prompted to reboot into Debian. When I boot my Debian amd64 kernel, the boot process hangs with the following error message:

   Detecting hardware: open_sock(): No such device

I've tried Googling for this error message but not found anything illuminating. Any suggestions on where I can proceed from here?

Alex