Re: Commercial programs in Debian

jmt wrote:

  Sorry for the disturbion but I would like to mention some things.
I have been thinking about if it was possible to set up some bug list as a
kind of quality assurance for commercial programs in Debian. Most
commercial programs I have seen are only said to be compatible with RedHat
and sometimes SuSe.

Mind that most commercial programs, targeted for RedHat or SuSe, are generally i386 ONLY !

Second point : commercial program editors want to rely on some king of system certification ; even if what RedHat or SuSe provide is far from satisfaction, it can take place in a business process, as a mention to good practice.

Third : what made Apple fortune : a very narrow hardware selection ! If a commercial program had to rely on
Well, amd64 is a much more narrow platform than i386, which has
various enhancements for i586, i686, as well as lots of little issues
for special i386-compatible processors.

If you want to run on all of i386, then you can't take advantage of
i586, i686.  If you go for max performance (i686), then it won't run
on i586 which is still popular.  amd64 does not yet have such
problems.

Helge Hafting