Mumtimedia keyboard and multi-buttons mouse

Hi,

I've a multimedia wireless keyboard-mouse.
It is a Miicrosoft one and it can be plugged in PS/2 or USB.

I've setup the closer version found in:
 /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/inet called microsofmult

Here is the keyboard bloc in xorg.conf

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop Pro"
   Driver      "keyboard"
   Option      "CoreKeyboard"
   Option      "XkbRules"     "xorg"
   Option      "XkbModel"     "microsoftmult"
   Option      "XkbLayout"    "fr-latin9"
EndSection

I has sone extra keys unknown but using setkeycodes allowed me to vonfigure everything. With X, gnome allows to map shortcuts to these keys.

The mouse has the 3 normal buttons, 2 side buttons and the wheel. The wheel can be tilted.

I managed to setup the mouse to have the 3 buttons, the wheel and the sie buttons to work. But the wheel til doesnt générate any event in xev.

The mouse is configured this way :

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "Microsoft ImExPS/2 Explorer Mouse"
   Driver      "mouse"
   Option      "Device"    "/dev/input/mice"
   Option      "CorePointer"
   Option      "Protocol"     "ExplorerPS/2"
   Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
   Option      "Buttons"      "9"
   Option      "ZAxisMapping"    "4 5"
   Option      "ButtonMapping"      "1 2 3 6 7 8 9 4 5"
EndSection

After some search, I've found "evdev" should be used as the protocol.
It doesnt work, X complaisn that evdev is not a known protocol.

So I tried to change the Driver to evdev and use /dev/input/eventx as the Device. But in this case, the X server crash silently (some flicker, black scree, nothing in the logs).

I decided then to use the USB connection and redo the configuration from start:

When plugged in USB, some of the multimedia keys are not known and setkeycodes cannot be used in USB.

Is there a way to configure scancodes/keycodes for an USB keyboard? I get the following warning message in the syslog:
keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 247
keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 247
keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 240
keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 241
keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 242
keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 242
keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 243
keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 243
keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 244
keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 244
keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 245
keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 245
keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 246
keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 246
keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 247
keyboard.c: can't emulate rawmode for keycode 247

With the USB connection, and the following mouse section, I van see the tilt events as 2 extras buttons:

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "Microsoft ImExPS/2 Explorer Mouse"
   Driver      "evdev"
   Option      "Device"    "/dev/input/event2"
   Option      "CorePointer"
   Option      "Protocol"     "ExplorerPS/2"
   Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
   Option      "Buttons"      "9"
   Option      "ZAxisMapping"    "4 5"
   Option      "ButtonMapping"      "1 2 3 6 7 8 9 4 5"
EndSection

This way, at gnome start, it popup a windows saying that the setup daemon coudnt be started and with an erreor "empty message". This message occurs onnly if evdev is used.

So my questions :

Is there a mean to get the mouse extra (tilt) button events?
Is there a mean to have the keyboard missing scancode defined while connected in USB? How to get more informations from gnome when the daemon failed to start due to the use of evdev?

Jean-Luc