Re: sid udev users, be careful with udev upgrade

I echo the caution.

I was a bit put off by the apt-listbugs output when udev_0.090-1 became
available, so I waited. I let 0.090.2 upgrade; I can remember how much
trouble I had with it because I´ve been playing with several systems over the
weekend. I did not succeed in dist-upgrading a 386 system from testing to
unstable because of udev. (If you can do it, you are not ready...)

I installed 0.090-3 this morning and a little later had an xorg 7 99% CPU time
event (not had one of those on this machine before...).

I guess unstable is finally living up to its reputation after several
trouble-free months.

I rebooted and was dismayed to find that the machine did not complete booting.
No network interfaces (including lo) were found. Booting back into repair
mode, ifconfig showed nothing. Error messages showed No such device

I used dpkg  --force-depends to allow me to step back to udev 0.089-1
from /var/cache/apt/archives. This allows me to boot to desktop or console
but hasn´t given me a network interface (eth0 is now named eth0-ifr or some
such)

I see udev 0.090-4 has appeared; looks like I will be installing it from
floppy!

K8VX Mainboard, Sempron 64 (my amd-64 died) 2.6.16-1-amd64-k8
Unstable from uk.debian.org
Inside leg 28 1/2 inches

AAM