Controlling allocation in 64-bit space

We're looking to do what would be called 'a dodgy hack'.

We have some Fortran code that puts arrays of size 1 into the .text section of a
binary, These arrays will have 64-bit addresses. We then want to allocate a
section of memory using a C function that returns an offset from our array
address as a 4-byte uint (Fortran 77 has no pointers). We can then access
ARRAY(offset + 54) which equates to &ARRAY + offset + 54 bytes. In effect it is
a giant buffer overrun, but this is apparently the established way to do memory
allocation in Fortran.

The ultimate solution will be to #define a POINTER type that is the correct size
for the architecture, unfortunately there is an awful lot of code to fix.

What we want to do is be able to allocate a region of memory that has an offset
that is within 4-bytes of &ARRAY, but this goes beyond my knowledge of the
allocator, that I'm not even sure where to start looking.

Any help would be much appreciated.

PS. please CC replies, am off list

Davyd Madeley        Software Engineer
Fugro Seismic Imaging, Perth Australia