RE: quiet dual dual-core opteron

Certainly -- the dual core Intels are a serious pain to cool.  But the
difference between 55 and 90 watts is nothing to sneeze at (the low power
2.2GHz Opteron vs the normal 2.2GHz Opteron).  With the dual core units it
is the difference between 55 watts and 95 watts for the same 2.2GHz.  That
is enough to pay extra for just to cut the fan noise down.  I think that the
dual core Intel Pentium Extreme is 200 watts or so, so the Opterons are far
easier to cool, of course, but every little bit helps.  I have used the
1.4GHz low power Opterons (35 watts!!!) in a number of utility servers that
didn't need more power and I could use passive cooling, which is wonderful
-- one less  moving part to fail.

Brendan Todd Corkery

Brendan Todd Corkery
bcorkery@adv-eng-ser-inc.com
UNIX Support
Advantage R&D
(713)305-1621 cell
(281)260-5799 work
(281)872-1628 fax

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication
(and any attachment) is confidential. It
should only be read by the person(s) to whom
it is addressed. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the
sender by reply and delete this communication.