realplayer in chroot VERY slow

I've got "realplay" running via "firefox", both in a chroot.
Firefox seems OK (though it didn't notice the ~/.mozilla I
copied to the chroot, like it does running outside the chroot),
but realplay GUI buttons take anywhere from a few to maybe 30 seconds
to respond to clicks and the video updates very slowly and the player
resets to run at slowest bitrate (34kbps).  Anyone have a clue for me?
Google didn't find one in my first search.

Thanks.