Re: libc6-i386 versus ia32-libs

mrvn@storage:~$ dpkg -l libc6\*
ii  libc6          2.3.6-3        GNU C Library: Shared libraries and Timezone
ii  libc6-dev      2.3.6-3        GNU C Library: Development Libraries and Hea
ii  libc6-dev-i386 2.3.6-3        GNU C Library: 32bit development libraries f
un  libc6-doc      <none>         (no description available)
ii  libc6-i386     2.3.6-3        GNU C Library: 32bit shared libraries for AM
pn  libc6-pic      <none>         (no description available)
un  libc6-prof     <none>         (no description available)
un  libc6.1        <none>         (no description available)
un  libc6.1-dev    <none>         (no description available)

That version works fine here.

bc5c67ee8d8c763449b70936ab80a8ab  /sbin/ldconfig

>>>There is yet another concern: ld.so.conf also contained a search
>>>sequence for library directories (AFAIK). How is this supposed to
>>>work with the new directory containg symbolic links?
>>

>> Hmm. I don't think there is a concept for the search order of those
>> links yet. The directory is ment only for system library dirs so there
>> should be no need for ordering them I think. User dirs should still be
>> in ld.so.conf
>>

> There could be a conflict even for system libraries, e.g. between
> a stripped-down small library in /lib used at boot time, and the
> full multi-lingual version in /usr/lib, for example.

That would never work since /lib is before /usr/lib hardcoded in ldconfig.

> Regards
>
> Harri

MfG
        Goswin