Re: amd64-archive update

> >Le Dienstag 14 Februar 2006 17:04, Matthieu Helleboid a écrit :
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I've made an update to amd64-archive made by Goswin von Brederlow.
> >>
> >> It will make a local repository for amd64 without a chroot for :
> >>  * firefox, mozilla, opera, flash
> >>  * mplayer, w32codecs
> >>  * skype
> >>  * openoffice
> >>
> >> Have a look at http://mhelleboid.free.fr/
>

> I'm sorry -- I'm a bit confused about what this script does, and
> the web page didn't really explain it.  Does it remove the need for
> a 32-bit chroot to run the above apps on a 64-bit system?  If so,
> how?  By putting the 32-bit libraries in a special location, and
> then surrounding all the above apps in a script wrapper that
> sets library paths to the new locations?  That kind of thing?

Right.  It's not clearly explained, but from studying the page it seems that
installing amd64-archive creates an archive on your local machine of
modified packages that wrap the apps for execution in the 64-bit
environment.  The archive of modified packages will be built in
/var/lib/amd64-archive.

It would seem better to create these packages once and for all and offer
them in an online archive for everyone, but better this way than nothing.